WWJD... I don't know.

All I need to know in life I learned from the Bible. But from what I can see, the Bible tells us how to be governed, as Christians, and how to be individuals and church leaders, but not how to govern an entire nation. (Before anyone tries to read "conservative" or "liberal" into my comments, I'm sorry to disappoint you... I claim no political party or position. I am only a child of God who is continually learning what it means to be a Christian first and an American second, and how the two relate.)

Taxes... Is it a government's job to ensure its poor are taken care of by taking from the rich and giving to the poor? Or is it only the job of individuals to decide how and whether to sacrifice for the welfare of those less fortunate? I don't know, and I think there are many gray areas here.

Education... Is it a government's job to decide what its children are required to be taught? Or is it the job of parents or schools? As a homeschooler, I obviously lean toward the parents side, but there are plenty of kids out there who fare much better learning the values that the government deems true than the values a backward parent or bigoted teacher might instill in them.

Immigration... Is it a government's job to defend its borders in the interest of being a good steward of the resources entrusted to it by its native people? Or to compassionately open its arms to the alien, the poor, and the oppressed? I think it must be best to do both. But how? I don't know.

Marriage... Is it a government's job to define marriage for its people? Or is it the responsibility of God and his Church only? I don't know.

I know what the Bible tells me as an individual about how to deal with these types of issues--not that I've got it all figured out--but I am in the dark about the government's best role in them. I think the reason God didn't give us a blueprint for government is because humans are too flawed to rule well; only God Himself can govern us perfectly, and I do look forward to learning how Jesus goes about it when He returns! (And I am grateful to those with a calling to politics, who help us do the best we can here on earth!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"...for babies grow up, we've learned to our sorrow..."

Exodus

Banned word: "Proverbial"