Spelling Review

3 years later...

We just finished All About Spelling, level 2. For review, I made up sentences that use all the words they learned in this level, plus a few other words I've taught them, like "-ould," "their," "what, when, where," etc. and some "-ly" words. I grouped them by our remaining school weeks, 3 sentences a day. 

I prefer sentence dictation rather than simply writing lists of words. It improves spelling retention, plus they review capitalization and punctuation at the same time. Efficient! Leaves time for their own pursuits. 

Here they are in case anyone else can benefit from them. Most are not great sentences. Some are really weird, untrue, borderline inappropriate... It's harder than I expected to craft good, short sentences from a word list!

week 1
Buzz spills all six drinks on Mike.
The garden queen uses a hose to water a rose bush.
Keep careful count of those many broken cords.

The girl’s quill pen races across the page to make a handmade card.
Try to hold a handstand for five seconds in a contest of skill.
Most snakes coil before they strike.

What a cute magnet craft for me to begin!
Crush some dry glue into a cube.
Which brand of cupcake mix do you prefer?

Face the farm fence to find a huge fern.
The bull hopes his horns will not harm the cow.
Hawks fly into the blue sky like a herd of kites.

week 2
Try to crack the frozen ice with all five fingers.
I feed my bobcat gold corn and brown beef.
Dave kept his blind bride dressed in fine lace at home.

Put a hard clump in the fire; pull out a glass ring.
Mick said he will cry if I ever boil his arm.
Sue is super sweet; she swept the porch just in case.

I must remind myself to smile when the ground thaws in March.
Seventeen minus four equals three.
Add a pinch of spice to the pile of golden popcorn.

Wake me in the morning next week at my hotel.
Wash the white wall with a wave of water.
The stork will stand in the swift wind of the storm.

week 3
Wait a week until winter becomes mild.
The silver trumpets fell silent as the band froze in awe.
Your swift spaceship orbits round the planet until the ride is over.

Take out a moist napkin to wipe the mess from your mouth.
There is a mistake in their old robot’s program.
Our poor Kate still lives, but she has slept since morning.

The cheerful child crept down to the bee hive to see the smoke.
He will craft a grand helmet to prevent his skull from cracking.
The thin cow ate eight plump flowers in their lawn.

Fix the other broken gate by the sage bush at dawn.
Mice join in mouse games; deer invent their own games.
Take care to form a new helpful habit every April.

week 4
My dentist put seven crowns on my teeth this past August.
I enjoy sweet, green grapes more than acorn cakes.
We can forget about hunger and hate when every human becomes kind.

It’s cold and humid by the lake where we hook fish every summer.
Fry a full plate of crisp, fragrant bacon.
Clowns enjoy ice cream cones from my sister’s cart.

Which member will publish the travel report?
Be good on the bus, and trade one toy.
Push the long broom around the tower twice.

Deer feel the need to eat seeds and run free.
See the snow blow; so much for our nice date at the plant show.
I took my foot off the gas when I saw the foxes.

week 5
People put on shorts for a swim at the pool.
They think that most of their friends are sick.
It seems wise to be aware of which way is north.

At eighteen, you are old enough to vote in November.
I forgot the price of this sort of item.
We all depend on God’s grace.

Nor do I harvest rice when the earth freezes.
Stick a sharp claw into that yellow cork.
What about the large number of scabs on my nose?

When a person loses a few pounds, it shows on the scale.
At the same moment, many loud oinks rose from the side of the barn.
She gave me a sweet, soft kiss on the cheek.

week 6
A hinge must have screw holes.
Frame the fort with cedar wood posts on the lawn.
Inform us the moment you meet her at the mall.

Give them a refund on their order of rulers.
Finding the duck, Pilgrim gave a short bark and a swift point with his paw.
Why don’t you wind a roll of yarn around the cat’s paw?

Cook these two tiger shrimp on the flame.
They bound us with tape, hand and foot, to a tree on the park’s south side.
What size slice would your brother like on his fake fork?

I finish folding pants without a flaw.
The crate fell like a stone into the deep river.
If any oil gets on your stamps, they could grow mold.

week 7
Let’s skip down the hall and visit the shark cage.
In the poem, the walrus and the carpenter trick some young oysters.
I sometimes yawn while I trace music notes in art class.

A crown of thorns now stuck in his scalp, and he began to bleed.
It would seem that hope was no more.
My aunt will not admit her true age late in life.

I take auto shop, but I prefer to bake.
Fifteen feet behind a cabin, I enter a dark cave and find gems.
Both boys’ bikes crash when their brakes don’t work on a steep grade.

We found germs under a carpet of compost and frost.
To cope with sore bones and joints, colts rest outside.
How does she intend to hide herself here, so far from her motel?

week 8
She made up her mind to make her mark with love and joy.
Nine shy, older sheep became quite loyal to the ones born in June.
I’ve seen a bold owl bite a sheet of paper to pry it open.

A student spends one coin from his billfold on a past-due fine.
Perform the small skit on the stage, but omit the part with tar and stones.
At a town event, we will draw one name and grant a prize.

Print the file about how the rate of car tires sold did not rise.
If torn wires start to drift from your printer, return it for a new unit.
The smart, sly wife came to enter the secret code to find a clue.

The tall ball player stole the base with a skid, and the call was, “Safe!”
Scan the wide yard for auto parts: tires, tar, or wire to use.
Even when it got late, we made time to spy bold stars miles across space.

week 9
State laws can limit problems when brave people vote for new rules.
I told her never to place a pole or ropes over a slide; a broken jaw is no joke.
If you drive wildly down the center line of the street, I will not forgive you.

Clamp that toilet; it’s begun to spoil my sleep.
We saw them broil the royal chicken, carve it, and grind the skin.
I’ve been to the mine and saw my cane fall a mile down the shaft.

Skim the cream from the jar, blend it with lemon, smile, and begin your sale.
I spent not a cent of my bonus; it now belongs to you.

Erase one zero from this chart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"...for babies grow up, we've learned to our sorrow..."

Exodus

Banned word: "Proverbial"