Deep Thoughts

Big Bro (mostly intelligible): "Mommy, what do you think about when you're alone?"

Me: (Did he just say what I think he said?) "What do I think about when I'm alone?"

Big Bro: "Uh-huh."

Me: (Still recovering from the shock of this kind of question out of my 3-year-old's mouth) "Well, I sometimes think about you and Little Bro, and Daddy, Grandma and Grandpa... sometimes I think about if we get a house, what it will be like... what do YOU think about when you're alone, sweetheart?"

Big Bro: "Home."

Me: "Oh. Home?" (Hmmm. Is he just repeating what I said about a house? Or does he sit and think about his home and everything that means to him?)

Big Bro: "Yeah."

Me: (Wow. My little boy who normally only wants to talk about Thomas the Tank Engine just initiated a deep, if not fully coherent conversation with me! This is unbelievable!)

That evening:

Me: (with goosebumps, and almost hyperventilating) "Oh! Honey! I forgot to tell you what Big Bro said to me today!"

Daddy: (patiently waiting for me to calm down) "What?"

Me: "He said, 'Mommy, what do you think about when you're alone?' Can you believe that?"

Daddy: "That's what Thomas asks Hiro [on Big Bro's favorite movie]."

Me: "Oh. Well, I asked him what he thinks about, and he said, "Home."

Daddy: "That's Hiro's answer."

Next time, I'm going to keep Big Bro's insightful comments to myself, and enjoy the delusion a little longer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"...for babies grow up, we've learned to our sorrow..."

Exodus

Banned word: "Proverbial"